ALS Building Vocabulary I–VIII introduces students to a variety of topics including:
• The Basic Vocabulary courses provide instruction in basic phonemic principles (phonemic awareness), phonetic (phonics) and visual introduction to new words and word sounds, and multiple exposures to the use of words and word sounds.
• The student is provided an opportunity to use words in context and in language development exercises (vocabulary development).
• Emphasis is placed on phonics skills of syllabication, pronunciation, word definition, recognition of blends, digraphs, diphthongs, letters that have more than one sound, and sight vocabulary development at each grade level.
• Dictionary and thesaurus skills are enhanced through vocabulary exercises that include word recognition skills, multiple meaning words, synonyms, antonyms, connotation and denotation, Latin and Greek root words, prefixes and suffixes, foreign terms and phrases, core vocabulary words, and special vocabularies common to standardized tests.
• The A+LS program uses three key skills (phonemic awareness, phonics, and vocabulary development) identified by the National Reading Panel as it directs students from beginning reading levels to more advanced reading skills utilizing a Four-Step Approach in each title series.
= IPad compatible
This title is an introduction to sounds, long and short vowel sounds, special sounds formed by various letter combinations, using the letter as a vowel, silent vowels, the schwa sound, various diphthongs, initial and final consonants, like and unlike letters, blends and digraphs, basic sight words, word families, root words, and compound words. 57 lessons. **Fast-Track available
Building Vocabulary II includes recognizing long and short vowel sounds in example words, review of long and short vowels, initial and final consonants, like and unlike letters and words, blends and digraphs, sight words, syllabification skills, dictionary skills, and special vocabularies. 49 lessons. **Fast-Track available
This title builds on the skills of recognizing long and short vowel sounds in example words, review of long and short vowels, initial and final consonants, like and unlike letters and words, blends and digraphs, sight words, syllabification skills, dictionary skills, special vocabulary words, base words, compound words, synonyms, and antonyms. 49 lessons. **Fast-Track available
Building Vocabulary IV offers dictionary and thesaurus skills and usage, review of sight words, parts of speech, words in context, analogies, Latin and Greek roots, word recognition, words borrowed from names and places, core word vocabulary, words used in testing, grade-level review of long and short vowels, silent consonants, sounds, and combinations. 43 lessons. **Fast-Track available
This title covers parts of the dictionary, open and accented syllables, review of the eight parts of speech, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, homographs, prefixes, suffixes, Latin and Greek roots, core vocabulary words, short and long vowel sounds, words that have the /ur/ sound, words ending in the letter “y,” consonants, digraphs, and the /or/ sound. 43 lessons. **Fast-Track available
Building Vocabulary VI covers how to use a thesaurus, multiple meanings of words, strategies for solving types of word relationships, improving vocabulary through synonyms and antonyms, using context, prefixes, suffixes, and roots, foreign terms, short vowel sounds, diphthongs, initial consonants, and the /oo/ sound. 47 lessons. **Fast-Track available
This title includes identification and use of closed, open, and accented syllables, using a pronunciation key, synonyms, antonyms, words in context, words borrowed from names and places, foreign phrases, test taking strategies, identifying the /y/ sound in words, vowel clusters, separate sounds for the consonants “c,” “g,” and “s,” and the sound of /ph/. 48 lessons. **Fast-Track available
Building Vocabulary VIII reviews how to use a dictionary, the origin of words, parts of speech, analogies, homonyms, homographs, strategies for critical recognition of small words in larger words, foreign terms, sounds made by /au/ and /aw/, initial and final consonants, and introduces words that use silent letters. 48 lessons. **Fast-Track available